UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Michigan Union (Thomas M. Cooley House) no. 245
Building was renovated in 1906-1907; opened for student use in 1907; in 1912 an addition was built. In 1916 the original house was razed to make room for a new Michigan Union. The addition was moved to the north and used as a ballroom for a time. Image clipped from publication
UBImusD13. Folder: Michigan Union (built 1919), exterior views. no. 246
Irving Kane and Allen B. Pond, architects. Plans for the Union were on a scale unknown at the time for "club houses" in American colleges and universities: 250 feet long and 200 feet wide. Construction began in 1916 and owing to war time difficulties was not ready to be used by students until 1919. Two new wings to the south were completed in 1936 and 1938. The first wing runs parallel to the main structure while the other fronts on Madison Street. View of the construction site from the south.