description accompanying photograph: Maple Rapids Village - originally Wandaugon township 1826. This is a photograph of George Campeau's Fur Trading Post errected [sic] in 1826 - He was the brother of Louis Campeau fonder of Grand Rapids. It was the first building errected [sic] in Clinton County, Wandaugon Township. The Indian name is Salt Springs. He was the first land owner in Clinton County with a land grant signed by President Jackson in 1834. In 1841 it belonged to John and Adelaide Johnson, daughter of Joseph and Adelaide de Quinder Campeau. The building is no longer standing. The photograph was taken from an amber [sic] type negative in the early 1850s.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.