Observatory is near Lake Angelus, Mich. (five miles north of Pontiac). 24" reflecting telescope began operations in July 1930; also included a 10 1/2" reflector. Established and deeded to the university by Robert R. McMath, Francis McMath, and Judge Henry S. Hulbert. An additional 50' tower telescope was added in 1935/ 1946 and 70' tower telescope and office building added in 1940.
Built in 1923 by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls Associates, this structure was designed for indoor track events and intercollegiate sports, particularly football, baseball, basketball, and track athletics. Originally named the Yost Field House after U-M football coach Fielding Harris Yost (1921-1941), the building was remodeled in November of 1973 and renamed Yost Ice Arena.
1500 Marines and the Marine Band and Secretary of the Navy, Edwin Denby, '97 Law were guests at the dedication. Dedicated in honor of Fielding H. Yost, Director, Intercollegiate Athletics. Capacity crowd in attendance at dedication.
Rackham Educational Memorial Building, Detroit, erected 1941
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Folder / Container / Volume
UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Horace H. Rackham Educational Memorial Building (Detroit), exteriors. no. 206
Photographer / Artist
University of Michigan. News and Information Service.
Harley & Ellington, architects. W.E. Wood Co., contractor. Built from July 1940 to January 1942. Built jointly for the Engineering Society of Detroit and the University as an Extension Service facility in Detroit. Funded by the Horace H. and Mary A. Rackham Fund. Sculptures on exterior by Marshall Fredericks.
Albert Kahn Associates, architect. Building completed 1924 and named James Burrill Angell Hall. Sometimes called the Literary College. On verso: Angell Hall - Sculpture to go on ends of old building to help cover temporary wall - Summer of 1952
Sarach Caswell Angell was the wife of James B. Angell. Barbour Gymnasium (for women) was attached to the north side of the Waterman Gymnasium. Built during 1895 and 1896. Demolished in 1977 to make room for the expansion of the Chemistry Building.
"Among the gifts [for the women's gymnasium] was a transfer of $711 from the Mary J. Porter Fund, one of the first alumnae contributions to the university." (source: University of Michigan: an Encyclopedic Survey) Barbour Gymnasium (for women) was attached to the north side of the Waterman Gymnasium. Built during 1895 and 1896. Demolished in 1977 to make room for the expansion of the Chemistry Building.
Albert Kahn Associates, architect. Building completed 1924 and named James Burrill Angell Hall. Sometimes called the Literary College. [Upper right hand corner torn off. On image in lower right corner: No 1.]