Albert Kahn, architect. In 1918 the old library was demolished and a new front (north facade) was attached to the 1893 stacks and the stacks built in 1916-1917. This was referred to as the (New) General Library until the south stack addition was built in 1967-1970, when the entire library building was named the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library. On verso: General Library 8/55
Smith, Hinchman & Grylls, architects. 1500 Marines and the Marine Band and Secretary of the Navy, Edwin Denby, '97 Law were guests at the dedication. Dedicated in honor of Fielding H. Yost, Director, Intercollegiate Athletics. Capacity crowd in attendance at dedication.
University of Michigan News and Information Services Photographs
University of Michigan. News and Information Services. Photographs.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Computing Center #1317 neg #4
Photographer / Artist
University of Michigan. News and Information Service.
IBM704 Computer printer transcribes computer's results from tape onto paper; background units contain tapes to be transcribed. Working l-r Alex Veliko, computer operator; Bruce Arden, research associate; Bernard Galler asst. professor of math seated
East stack. Albert Kahn, architect. Selden Breck contractors built stacks 1916-1918. Construction of General Library Building authorized June 1916. Two stacks built at right angles to 1898 stacks, which were retained. In 1918 Old Library was demolished and front (north side) of General Library begun. Completed in 1920. Photograph mounted on linen. From construction photo album received by Buildings and Grounds