Mason Hall was the first University of Michigan building devoted to instruction was known as the University Main Building upon completion in 1841 in time for fall classes.
In 1849, a similar building called South College was constructed south of Mason Hall. University Hall (built 1871-1873) connected the two buildings, which then were referred to as South Wing and North Wing.
The Law Building was built in 1863, renamed Haven Hall in 1933, and destroyed by fire in 1950. In 1950, after the fire destroyed Haven Hall, the entire University Hall complex was removed to make room for the expansion of Angell Hall.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
Boys playing, crowd watching in front of Alumni Memorial Hall, ca. 1925
Alumni Association (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Alumni Association.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Student Life (B), 1920s
Donaldson & Meier, architecture firm. The building opened in 1910. It houses the headquarters of the Alumni Association and the Michigan Alumnus and contains and the Alumni Catalog Office. Art collections and activities, including classes and exhibitions, have been held in the building since its opening. Its social function was, in the course of time, reduced to the use of a large room in the basement for the University Club, a faculty organization which later moved to quarters in the Union. The Department of Fine Arts held classes in Alumni Hall until 1949. The Museum of Art moved into Alumni Memorial Hall in 1946 upon its separation from the Museum of Archaeology and establishment as an individual administrative unit.