Student observatory, outbuildings, and Detroit Observatory, ca. 1902
Ralph Russell Tinkham papers
Tinkham, Ralph Russell.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Detroit Observatory completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory." The Students' Observatory was erected in 1878. It was located to the south of the Detroit Observatory. In 1908, it was moved to a different location to make room for construction of the east wing of the Detroit Observatory.