Catherine Street Hospitals / "Old University Hospital," ca. 1900 (?)
School of Nursing Alumni Association (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. School of Nursing. Alumni Association.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Photographs, hospitals, University of Michigan (23)
Chamberlin & Austin, architecture firm. Two similar buildings built in 1891 on Catherine St. (The western building had a straight north facade; the eastern building had a rounded north facade). From 1900-1925, the western building housed the West Medical Ward and the eastern building housed the Surgical Ward. The western building was destroyed by fire in 1927 and the eastern building was removed in 1965. From 1891-1897, a small building between the two hospitals was used as a heating plant. In 1898, this building was renovated and served as a nurses residence until 1916.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.