Particle beam equipment at base of Ford Nuclear Reactor (photo by UM News Service)
Michigan Memorial Phoenix Project records
Michigan Memorial Phoenix Project.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
The Michigan Memorial Phoenix project started in 1948 to find peacetime applications for atomic energy. Originally, it included a laboratory, greenhouse, and the Ford Nuclear Reactor. The Michigan Memorial Phoenix Project building was completed in 1955 and designed by Cornelius Gabler. The greenhouse was replaced by an addition in 2013. The Ford Nuclear Reactor was built between 1955-1956 as an addition to the laboratory by architect Smith, Hinchman & Grylls Associates and deactivated in July 2003.