1908 dome and classroom addition to Detroit Observatory
Alumni Association (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Alumni Association.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Building completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory."