Students sitting in the courtyard of East Quad, ca. 1982
Residential College (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Residential College.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Photographs, Miscellaneous, 1968-1994 & undated
Morrison & Gabler, architecture firm. East Quadrangle was built in 1939; formally accepted by the Regents on March 1, 1940; and opened to students in the fall of 1941. The houses, in honor of former professors at the University, were named: Burke Aaron Hinsdale House (the west unit facing East University Avenue), Charles Ezra Greene House (the north unit facing Willard Street), Moses Coit Tyler House (the east unit facing Church Street), Albert Benjamin Prescott House (the south unit). An addition was built between 1946-1948 with four more houses named after Henry Clay Anderson, Charles Horton Cooley, Joseph Ralston Hayden, and Louis Abraham Strauss.