Cyanotype of Detroit Observatory and Director's Residence, ca. 1900
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Building completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory."
2 scans sharing same hs #, one with suffix 1 of 2 for full stereograph, 2 of 2 for crop to right side image only.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.