Buildings and Grounds Dept. (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Buildings and Grounds Dept.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
In March 1912, the Board of Regents voted to move "the so-called Monroe house on North Ingalls St., occupying a portion of the site of the Hill Memorial Auditorium" to the court north off 1135 East Catherine Street. The building served as residence for approximately fourteen physicians and interns from the Catherine Street Hospitals. Later the building was used by the Laboratory of Vertebrate Biology. Then, it became the first Heredity Clinic, which was established as early as 1941 along with the Department of Human Heredity.
UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Statuary, monuments, etc. Class boulders and trees. no. 288
Largest of 5 peal of bells presented to the university in 1883 by Andrew D. White, James J. Hagerman, and Edward C. Hegeler. From 1883 to 1936 the five bells were first in the Library Tower and then in the tower of the Old Engineering Building. In 1942 they were melted down for the war effort.
The University of Michigan never owned McMillan Hall but it did serve the campus community. "For many years the Y.M.C.A. had rented Sackett & McMillan Halls on State Street three blocks north of the campus, from the Presbyterian Church, ..." (source: Encyclopedic Survey, p. 1669). The Y.M.C.A. moved into Lane Hall upon its opening in 1917.