UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Burton Memorial Tower and Charles Baird Carillon. no. 146
Photographer / Artist
Albert Kahn, architect. Built 1936. On verso: The 10-story Burton Memorial Tower has been a landmark on the University of Michigan Ann Arbor campus since the tower's 1936 dedication ... The largest bell in the carillon, "Big Baird," weighs 12 tons and sounds E-flat below middle C at the stroke of its 350-pound clapper. The smallest bell weighs four pounds and sounds A-sharp, four and one-half octaves higher. University of Michigan News and Information Services, 412 Maynard, Ann Arbor, MI. 48109-1399. Negative #5546. Frame 17
UBImu D13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Helen Newberry Residence. no. 202
Kahn & Wilby, architects. Built in 1915. G.E. Christman Co., contractor. First dormitory for women opened for summer session 1915. Gift of Truman H. and John S. Newberry and Mrs. Henry Newberry Joy. East facade.
Built in 1856. First chemical laboratory at a state university. Building served medical students and others as both laboratory and classroom. Situated just west and south of the original medical building. Additions made to the one-story building in 1861, 1866, 1868, 1874. In 1880 a two-story addition was added with subsequent additions in 1889 and 1901. Became Economics Building in 1908. Pharmacology occupied north wing 1908-1981. Destroyed by fire Christmas Eve 1981. This image is from the northwest. Male person seated by tree.
York and Sawyer, architect. The Martha Cook Building was erected as a residence for women in 1915, a gift of William Wilson Cook ('80) in honor of his mother, Martha Walford Cook. Garden replanted in 1921 by Samuel Parsons of New York City. Stamp on verso: G.R. Swain; 712 East University Ave.; Ann Arbor, Mich.
York and Sawyer, architect. The Martha Cook Building was erected as a residence for women in 1915, a gift of William Wilson Cook ('80) in honor of his mother, Martha Walford Cook. Garden replanted in 1921 by Samuel Parsons of New York City.
University of Michigan. News and Information Service.
Jordan & Anderson, architect (1863); Spier & Rohns (1898). The old Law Building was renamed Haven Hall in 1933. It becomes one of the main buildings for LS&A used by Departments of History, Sociology and Journalism. The old Law Library became a study hall and Bureau of Government Library. Extension Division also had offices in Haven Hall.