UBImusD13. Folder: Library (built 1883). Views from northwest. no. 222
Ware and Van Brunt, architect. Built in 1883. An addition was built to the south in 1898. The 1883 portion was torn down in 1918. Signature on verso: W.A. Lewis [Lewis was a student at UM in the late 1890's]
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
On verso: Alice Lloyd - later Dean of Women, had leading man's part. Catherine Reighard - other male lead - was Pres. of the Women's League. Dorothy Roehm - leading female role, was the 1915 class Sec'y. Nona Fogerty - pirate with black eye patch - AA girl - later of Fogerty Hat Shop, Liberty St. Abigail Shay Bassett - AA, an active and loyal alumnae, who donated this picture (A.B. '15, A.B.L.S. '28). Prof. Kenyon was the play producer and director. No men were ever allowed to see these plays!
Telescope being mounted outside rear of Detroit Observatory, ca. 1924
Observatory (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Observatory.
Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Building completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory."