Chamberlin & Austin, architecture firm. One of two similar buildings built in 1891 on Catherine St. (The western building had a straight north facade; the eastern building had a rounded north facade). From 1900-1925, the western building housed the West Medical Ward and the eastern building housed the Surgical Ward. The western building was destroyed by fire in 1927 and the eastern building was removed in 1965. From 1891-1897, a small building between the two hospitals was used as a heating plant. In 1898, this building was renovated and served as a nurses residence until 1916.
Observatory is near Lake Angelus, Michigan (five miles north of Pontiac). 24" reflecting telescope began operations in July 1930; also included a 10 1/2" reflector. Established and deeded to the University of Michigan by Robert R. McMath, Francis McMath, and Judge Henry S. Hulbert. An additional 50' tower telescope was added in 1935/1946 and 70' tower telescope and office building added in 1940.