York & Sawyer, architecture firm. Construction begun in 1911, completed 1914. Located on a block between South University Avenue and Tappan Avenue. The Martha Cook Building was erected as a residence for women, a gift of William Wilson Cook ('80) in honor of his mother, Martha Walford Cook. Land to the east of the original building site (the old Condon home) was purchased in 1918 as a garden area.
Garden replanted in 1921 by Samuel Parsons of New York City. Statue of Portia above door was sculpted in marble in the Piccirilli Studio, N.Y.; donated by Cook in 1918.
The University Hospitals. The Palmer Ward is the second from the left.
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Folder / Container / Volume
UBImusD2. Folder: Campus Views. Medical Center. Catherine St. area. no. 126
The Catherine Street Hospitals were built starting in 1891 with the Allopathic and Homeopathic Hospitals. The group expanded to approximately 20 buildings until 1925, when the University Hospital was completed.