Bernard Green (UM Eng. 1891) of the Osborn Engineering Company of Cleveland, lead architect. Also known as "The Big House," excavation for the stadium began in September 1926 and construction was completed by October 1927. Previously, Michigan football games were held on Ferry Field. The stadium has undergone numerous improvements and renovations, which include an expansion project by the architectural firm Venturi, Scott-Brown and Associates in 1997; and another renovation and expansion project by the firm HNTB Architecture in 2010.
Print inscribed verso: "Mich 21 / Ohio State 0 / dedication game 1927... and Ivory Photo was there."
View facing north. Second floor on west end of building with framing in progress. No. 21 of chronological series of construction photographs, numbered 1 to 32. Smith, Hinchman & Grylls, architects. W.B. Wood Co., construction
View toward north and cityscape. Finishing stone around entrance doors in place. No. 23 of chronological series of construction photographs, numbered 1 to 32. Smith, Hinchman & Grylls, architects. W.B. Wood Co., construction
View toward north. Additional stonework around windows on second floor. Hopper on east tower above scaffolding. No. 25 of chronological series of construction photographs, numbered 1 to 32. Smith, Hinchman & Grylls, architects. W.B. Wood Co., construction
Construction photo, west entry of UM Michigan League, 28 October 1928
Ivory Photo photograph collection
Ivory Photo (Firm)
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Folder: 2. UM Michigan League Construction, west entry, 10/28/1928
Photographer / Artist
Ivory Photo (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
Pond & Pond with Martin & Lloyd, architects. The Michigan League opened on May 4, 1929. To eliminate confusion between the Women's League as an organization and the Michigan League building, the administration of the building and the student organization were combined under the title Michigan League in 1934-35. In 1992, the Michigan League became one of three University Unions. The Lydia Mendelssohn Theater is within the Michigan League.
5 x 7 inch negative; 8 x 10 inch print 1983 Sturgis