East Quad main entrance, men walking into and out of building
Alumni Association (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Alumni Association.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Dormitories - East Quadrangle
Morrison & Gabler, architecture firm. East Quadrangle was built in 1939; formally accepted by the Regents on March 1, 1940; and opened to students in the fall of 1941. The houses, in honor of former professors at the University, were named: Burke Aaron Hinsdale House (the west unit facing East University Avenue), Charles Ezra Greene House (the north unit facing Willard Street), Moses Coit Tyler House (the east unit facing Church Street), Albert Benjamin Prescott House (the south unit). An addition was built between 1946-1948 with four more houses named after Henry Clay Anderson, Charles Horton Cooley, Joseph Ralston Hayden, and Louis Abraham Strauss.
Bernard Green (UM Eng. 1891) of the Osborn Engineering Company of Cleveland, lead architect. Also known as "The Big House," excavation for the stadium began in September 1926 and construction was completed by October 1927. Previously, Michigan football games were held on Ferry Field. The stadium has undergone numerous improvements and renovations, which include an expansion project by the architectural firm Venturi, Scott-Brown and Associates in 1997; and another renovation and expansion project by the firm HNTB Architecture in 2010.