Stone fireplace mantel in dining room, Martha Cook Building
Martha Cook Building (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Martha Cook building.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Photographs, building, interior, dining room
Photographer / Artist
Daines & Nickels (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
York & Sawyer, architecture firm. Construction begun in 1911, completed 1914. Located on a block between South University Avenue and Tappan Avenue. The Martha Cook Building was erected as a residence for women, a gift of William Wilson Cook ('80) in honor of his mother, Martha Walford Cook. Land to the east of the original building site (the old Condon home) was purchased in 1918 as a garden area.
Garden replanted in 1921 by Samuel Parsons of New York City. Statue of Portia above door was sculpted in marble in the Piccirilli Studio, N.Y.; donated by Cook in 1918.
Architects are Albert Kahn of Detroit, in consultation with William Warner Bishop, the first head librarian of the new building. Built between 1916 and 1920 on the site of the old library. The new building incorporated two fireproof book stacks built in 1898 from the older building. Additional stacks were built at right angles to old stacks between 1916-1918 by Selden Breck contractors. In 1918 the old library was demolished and a new front (north facade) was attached to the 1893 stacks and the stacks built in 1916-1917. This was referred to as the (New) General Library until the south stack addition was built in 1967-1970 and the entire library building was named the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library.
A preliminary sketch for the estate of Harold Ickes. Hubbard Woods, Illinois
Jens Jensen drawings and papers
Jensen, Jens, 1860-1951.
Box / Drawer
Red ink, green, orange, black pencil on tracing papers; location of drain tiles, gardens, pools, footpaths; signed (with initials MJ below name). 70 x 66 cm. Scale: 1"=20' [from photographic copy by Lance Burgharrdt]