Chamberlin & Austin, architecture firm. The easternmost of two similar buildings built in 1891 on Catherine St. From 1891-1900, this building housed the Allopathic Hospital (also called University Hospital); 1900-1925, the Surgical Ward; 1925-1944, the East Convalescent Ward; 1944-1950, the Rapid Treatment Center; and 1950-1965, the Institute for Social Research. It was removed in 1965.
On verso: "Alice Hamilton in front row, fourth from left."
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
Michigan Stadium aerial, UM Football vs Ohio State 1969
University of Michigan News and Information Services Photographs
University of Michigan. News and Information Services. Photographs.
Box / Drawer
18 Ser E.
Folder / Container / Volume
Folder: Slides, 1969 OSU
Photographer / Artist
University of Michigan. News and Information Service.
Bernard Green (UM Eng. 1891) of the Osborn Engineering Company of Cleveland, lead architect. Also known as "The Big House," excavation for the stadium began in September 1926 and construction was completed by October 1927. Previously, Michigan football games were held on Ferry Field. The stadium has undergone numerous improvements and renovations, which include an expansion project by the architectural firm Venturi, Scott-Brown and Associates in 1997; and another renovation and expansion project by the firm HNTB Architecture in 2010.