UBImusD13. Folder: Michigan League and Lydia Mendelssohn Theatre, Interior and Exterior Views. no. 242
Photographer / Artist
George R. Swain (Ann Arbor, MI)
Pond & Pond with Martin & Lloyd, architects. The Michigan League opened on May 4, 1929. To eliminate confusion between the Women's League as an organization and the Michigan League building, the administration of the building and the student organization were combined under the title Michigan League in 1934-35. In 1992, the Michigan League became one of three University Unions. The Lydia Mendelssohn Theater is within the Michigan League.
Verso: "G. R. Swain, 213 East University Ave. ANN ARBOR, MICH [stamp] #9913 Mich. League."
Image shows view from the northwest; automobiles parked by north side of the building.
Small etching: The Clements Library, University of Michigan
Wilfred B. Shaw Papers
Shaw, Wilfred B., 1880-1959.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Photographer / Artist
Shaw, Wilfred Byron, 1881-1959
Albert Kahn Associates, architecture firm. Construction began in 1922 and the building was dedicated on June 15, 1923. Located on South University next to the President's House. At the time of construction, the West Physics Building was standing to the north. Building and collection of rare books donated by William L. Clements, University Regent.
Image creator Shaw was General Secretary of the Alumni Association, 1904-1029 and Director of the Bureau of Alumni relations, 1929 -1950. He edited and illustrated the Michigan Alumnus and Michigan Alumnus Quarterly Review.
Gordon William Lloyd, architect. Constructed in 1885, occupied in 1886. Two additions were completed; the first in 1888 and the second in 1900. In 1918, clock and chimes were removed from the Old General Library and installed in the building's tower. In 1926, the building name was changed from Engineering Shops to West Engineering Annex. Architecture Dept. in east wing 1923-1927; Survey Dept. in east wing 1927; Auto Lab in west wing; part of Auto Lab destroyed by fire 1937. Removed in 1956 to allow for the construction of the Undergraduate Library.
On verso: "Rare Book Room, gift of Mrs. Camilla B.Green, 11-23-35."
A. J. Jordan, architect. Built in 1856. First chemical laboratory at a state university. Building served medical students and others as both laboratory and classroom. Situated just west and south of the original medical building. Additions made to the one-story building in 1861, 1866, 1868, 1874. In 1880 a two-story addition was added. In 1890, a three-story wing was added to the west of the original structure and was designed by E. W. Arnold of Detroit. A final addition was constructed in 1901. With the completion of the West Medical Building (later renamed the Dana Building) in 1903 and the Chemistry Building in 1909, the laboratories were transferred from the original Chemical Laboratory. In 1908, it became the Economics Building with Pharmacology occupying the north wing. Destroyed by an arson fire Christmas Eve 1981.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.