UBImusD2. Folder: Campus Views. Medical Center. Catherine St. area. no. 126
Two similar buildings built in 1891 on Catherine St. (The western building had a straight north facade; the eastern building had a rounded north facade). From 1900-1925, the western building housed the West Medical Ward and the eastern building housed the Surgical Ward. The western building was destroyed by fire in 1927 and the eastern building was removed in 1965. From 1891-1897, a small building between the two hospitals was used as a heating plant. In 1898, this building was renovated and served as a nurses residence until 1916.
Combination atlas map of Washtenaw County, Michigan
Folder / Container / Volume
MH 4 W319 1874 E93, p. 45
Left to right: Res. of Hiram Pierc, Sec. 13, Sylvan Tp. Mich.; Res. of the Hon. James M. Congdon, Sec. 13, Sylvan Tp. Mich.; Res. of E. Spencer, Sec. 35, Sylvan Tp. Mich.; Res. of Isaac Taylor, Sec 1, Sylvan Tp. Mich. Publication information: Chicago, Ill. : Everts & Stewart, 1874.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
Allen B. and Irving K. Pond, of Chicago, architects. Construction for the Michigan Union began in 1916. Previously, the renovated residence of Judge Thomas M. Cooley was used as the Union clubhouse. Before the four-story building officially opened for student use in 1919, it was used in a partially finished state as a barracks for the Students' Army Training Corps. By 1925, the pool in the basement and the library on the second floor of the building were completed. Several additions were made to the Union in the 1930's and 1950's.