University of Michigan News and Information Services Photographs
University of Michigan. News and Information Services. Photographs.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Photographer / Artist
University of Michigan. News and Information Service.
The Michigan Memorial Phoenix project started in 1948 to find peacetime applications for atomic energy. Originally, it included a laboratory, greenhouse, and the Ford Nuclear Reactor. The Michigan Memorial Phoenix Project building was completed in 1955 and designed by Cornelius Gabler. The greenhouse was replaced by an addition in 2013. The Ford Nuclear Reactor was built between 1955-1956 as an addition to the laboratory by architect Smith, Hinchman & Grylls Associates and deactivated in July 2003.
Image shows UM Nuclear engineering students attending class at the Ford Nuclear Reactor. Charles Ricker, instructor in Nuclear Engineering, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, and Reactor Operator, describes the operation of the control panel.