"University of Michigan Union new from the E. South East"
Pond family papers
Pond Family (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Architectural Subjects, Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan Union, Exteriors & Interiors
Allen B. and Irving K. Pond, of Chicago, architects. Construction for the Michigan Union began in 1916. Previously, the renovated residence of Judge Thomas M. Cooley was used as the Union clubhouse. Before the four-story building officially opened for student use in 1919, it was used in a partially finished state as a barracks for the Students' Army Training Corps. By 1925, the pool in the basement and the library on the second floor of the building were completed. Several additions were made to the Union in the 1930's and 1950's.
Buildings and Grounds Department (University of Michigan), architect. The first Laundry building was constructed in 1891 and located northwest of Palmer Ward. This building was later used as a contagious ward for the University Hospital, and then demolished in 1914. In 1897, Laundry was moved to the south end of Palmer Ward and then in 1900 to the west end of the Boiler House. A second Laundry building was constructed in 1917 and enlarged in 1926 and then again in 1938.
Four captioned images on page entitled "First Floor." Includes: "Flat Work Ironer," "Laundry Room N. W.," "Washer Room," and "Perry Extractors."
Architects are Albert Kahn of Detroit, in consultation with William Warner Bishop, the first head librarian of the new building. Built between 1916 and 1920 on the site of the old library. The new building incorporated two fireproof book stacks built in 1898 from the older building. Additional stacks were built at right angles to old stacks between 1916-1918 by Selden Breck contractors. In 1918 the old library was demolished and a new front (north facade) was attached to the 1893 stacks and the stacks built in 1916-1917. This was referred to as the (New) General Library until the south stack addition was built in 1967-1970 and the entire library building was named the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library.
Image shows west stack. Photograph mounted on linen. From construction photo album received by Buildings and Grounds.