Jordan & Anderson, architecture firm. The Law Building was built in 1863 on the corner of State Street and North University Avenue. In 1863 it was occupied by the Law School, the University Chapel (until 1873) and the General Library (until 1883). Renovated and enlarged in 1893 and then again in 1898 by architects Spier and Rohn of Detroit, Michigan who removed the tower and added a new south wing. Renamed Haven Hall in 1933 when the Law School moved to Hutchins Hall in the Law Quadrangle. Haven Hall then became one of the major buildings of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, with space given to the Departments of History, Sociology, Journalism, and the Bureau of Government and its library collection. Extension Division also had offices in Haven Hall. The building was destroyed by fire in 1950.
East Quad main entrance, men walking into and out of building
Alumni Association (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Alumni Association.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Dormitories - East Quadrangle
Morrison & Gabler, architecture firm. East Quadrangle was built in 1939; formally accepted by the Regents on March 1, 1940; and opened to students in the fall of 1941. The houses, in honor of former professors at the University, were named: Burke Aaron Hinsdale House (the west unit facing East University Avenue), Charles Ezra Greene House (the north unit facing Willard Street), Moses Coit Tyler House (the east unit facing Church Street), Albert Benjamin Prescott House (the south unit). An addition was built between 1946-1948 with four more houses named after Henry Clay Anderson, Charles Horton Cooley, Joseph Ralston Hayden, and Louis Abraham Strauss.