UBImusD13. Folder: Michigan Union (built 1919), interior views. no. 247
Allen B. and Irving K. Pond, of Chicago, architects. Construction for the Michigan Union began in 1916. Previously, the renovated residence of Judge Thomas M. Cooley was used as the Union clubhouse. Before the four-story building officially opened for student use in 1919, it was used in a partially finished state as a barracks for the Students' Army Training Corps. By 1925, the pool in the basement and the library on the second floor of the building were completed. Several additions were made to the Union in the 1930's and 1950's.
Verso: "7631 MICHIGAN UNION BLDG., University of Mich., Ann Arbor. Corridor in new dormitory addition. Magnesium Oxychloride tiles, put down in 1937. The floor base is black Hubbellite."
The Law Quadrangle -- University of Michigan [From an etching]
Wilfred B. Shaw Papers
Shaw, Wilfred B., 1880-1959.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Photographer / Artist
Shaw, Wilfred Byron, 1881-1959
York & Sawyer, architecture firm. Given to the university by William W. Cook, the four original buildings comprising the Law Quadrangle with their construction dates are: the Lawyers Club, 1924; the John P. Cook Dormitory, 1930; the Legal Research Building, 1931; and Hutchins Hall, 1933. The Legal Research Building included the original library. In January 2012, the Law Quadrangle was enlarged with the addition of South Hall and Aikens Commons.
Image creator Shaw was General Secretary of the Alumni Association, 1904-1029 and Director of the Bureau of Alumni relations, 1929 -1950. He edited and illustrated the Michigan Alumnus and Michigan Alumnus Quarterly Review.