UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Horace H. Rackham Educational Memorial Building (Detroit), interiors. no. 207
Harley & Ellington, architects. W.E. Wood Co., contractor. Built from July 1940 to January 1942. Built jointly for the Engineering Society of Detroit and the University as an Extension Service facility in Detroit. Funded by the Horace H. and Mary A. Rackham Fund. Sculptures on exterior by Marshall Fredericks.
Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Building completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory." Known at various times as Detroit Observatory, Campus Observatory, Old Observatory.
Stereoscopic photograph showing the 1868 director's residence addition. James C. Watson (wearing top hat) is seen with a telescope on a tripod; his wife, Annette, is standing at the porch (Source: A Creation of His Own: Tappan's Detroit Observatory by Patricia S. Whitesell).
On verso: "Views at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor."
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.