Lilburn L. Woodworth, architect. Built in 1927 for Elizabeth and James Inglis, "The Highlands," as they called it, was given to the University of Michigan in 1950 by Elizabeth H. Inglis. The estate at 2301 Highland Rd. comprises 8 1/2 acres and includes a caretaker's cottage and greenhouse. For many years, the university used the house for official visitors.
Originally one of four buildings on campus. Used as professor's house 1840-1877 (S. University where Clements Library stands). Used as Dental College 1877-1891; wing added on East 1891. In 1891, building enlarged to north and third story added. Entrance changed to West facade. Used by Engineering until 1922 when it was removed. After 1904, it was called the Old Engineering Building.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.