Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Detroit Observatory completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory." The Students' Observatory was erected in 1878. It was located to the south of the Detroit Observatory. In 1908, it was moved to a different location to make room for construction of the east wing of the Detroit Observatory.
On verso: "J. M. S. March 31, 1888." In another hand: "John Martin Schaeberle. Acting Director of Observatory."
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
Aviation Cadets listening to a Michigan vs. Ohio State Football Game
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Folder / Container / Volume
UBImusE27b. Folder: U of M & World War II Army units, miscellaneous. no.360
On verso: Public Relations Office. Army Air Forces Pilot School (Basic) Greenwood Army Air Field, Greenwood, Mississippi. Press release attached to rear of photo. Begins with: "Michigan is badly outcharging Ohio State," said the radio sports announcer. The reason for the pleased expressions on the faces of these four former Michigan university students ... left to right: Aviation Cadets Joseph H. Hellman, 20, of Brooklyn, N.Y.; Norman S. Tea(?)han, 22, of Schnectady, New York; Harold A. Nefe, 23, of Frankenmuth, Michigan, is standing by the radio. James Oliver Nordlie, 20, of Detroit, Michigan is sitting to the right of Cadet Nefe.