Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Building completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory."
So. Univ. & State the day of the Chicago game, Nov. 13
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Folder / Container / Volume
UBImusD13. Folder: Michigan Union (built 1919), exterior views. no. 246
Allen B. and Irving K. Pond, of Chicago, architects. Construction for the Michigan Union began in 1916. Previously, the renovated residence of Judge Thomas M. Cooley was used as the Union clubhouse. Before the four-story building officially opened for student use in 1919, it was used in a partially finished state as a barracks for the Students' Army Training Corps. By 1925, the pool in the basement and the library on the second floor of the building were completed. Several additions were made to the Union in the 1930's and 1950's.
Image shows view from southeast toward State Street.
IMB (Irvine, Michigan, Brookline), a collaboration between the University of Michigan, the University of California at Irvine, and the U.S. Department of Energy, was an experiment designed to determine the ultimate stability of matter. Computer display of PMT [photomultiplier tubes] hits from a muon produced by a neutrino interaction in IMB detector. Cylinder plot
Built in 1923 by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls Associates, this structure was designed for indoor track events and intercollegiate sports, particularly football, baseball, basketball, and track athletics. Originally named the Yost Field House after U-M football coach Fielding Harris Yost (1921-1941), the building was remodeled in November of 1973 and renamed Yost Ice Arena.