York & Sawyer, architecture firm. Construction begun in 1911, completed 1914. Located on a block between South University Avenue and Tappan Avenue. The Martha Cook Building was erected as a residence for women, a gift of William Wilson Cook ('80) in honor of his mother, Martha Walford Cook. Land to the east of the original building site (the old Condon home) was purchased in 1918 as a garden area.
Garden replanted in 1921 by Samuel Parsons of New York City. Statue of Portia above door was sculpted in marble in the Piccirilli Studio, N.Y.; donated by Cook in 1918.
On verso: "Taken Oct. 1942; 41 mm. Kodachrome; from office of Prof. Bennett through the window by Myrtle White Godwin; 3100 E. First St.; Long Beach, Calif."
Jordan & Anderson, architecture firm. The Law Building was built in 1863 on the corner of State Street and North University Avenue. In 1863 it was occupied by the Law School, the University Chapel (until 1873) and the General Library (until 1883). Renovated and enlarged in 1893 and then again in 1898 by architects Spier and Rohn of Detroit, Michigan who removed the tower and added a new south wing. Renamed Haven Hall in 1933 when the Law School moved to Hutchins Hall in the Law Quadrangle. Haven Hall then became one of the major buildings of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, with space given to the Departments of History, Sociology, Journalism, and the Bureau of Government and its library collection. Extension Division also had offices in Haven Hall. The building was destroyed by fire in 1950.
Plant designed by A. Harvey's Sons Manufacturing Company, Ltd. Built in 1894. Also called Central Heating Plant and University Heating Plant. Ceased to function as a heating plant with the construction of the Washington Street plant in 1914. Used as an Engineering laboratory from 1914-1923. Then used by the R.O.T.C. as their headquarters from 1923-1942. The east stack was removed in 1948 and the rest of the building was demolished in 1959.
Duplicate image to BL004360.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.