Architects are Albert Kahn of Detroit, in consultation with William Warner Bishop, the first head librarian of the new building. Built between 1916 and 1920 on the site of the old library. The new building incorporated two fireproof book stacks built in 1898 from the older building. Additional stacks were built at right angles to old stacks between 1916-1918 by Selden Breck contractors. In 1918 the old library was demolished and a new front (north facade) was attached to the 1893 stacks and the stacks built in 1916-1917. This was referred to as the (New) General Library until the south stack addition was built in 1967-1970 and the entire library building was named the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library.
Image shows west stack. Photograph mounted on linen. From construction photo album received by Buildings and Grounds.
A. J. Jordan, architect. Built in 1856. First chemical laboratory at a state university. Building served medical students and others as both laboratory and classroom. Situated just west and south of the original medical building. Additions made to the one-story building in 1861, 1866, 1868, 1874. In 1880 a two-story addition was added. In 1890, a three-story wing was added to the west of the original structure and was designed by E. W. Arnold of Detroit. A final addition was constructed in 1901. With the completion of the West Medical Building (later renamed the Dana Building) in 1903 and the Chemistry Building in 1909, the laboratories were transferred from the original Chemical Laboratory. In 1908, it became the Economics Building with Pharmacology occupying the north wing. Destroyed by an arson fire Christmas Eve 1981.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.