UBImusD13. Folder: Michigan Union (built 1919), interior views. no. 247
Allen B. and Irving K. Pond, of Chicago, architects. Construction for the Michigan Union began in 1916. Previously, the renovated residence of Judge Thomas M. Cooley was used as the Union clubhouse. Before the four-story building officially opened for student use in 1919, it was used in a partially finished state as a barracks for the Students' Army Training Corps. By 1925, the pool in the basement and the library on the second floor of the building were completed. Several additions were made to the Union in the 1930's and 1950's.
Verso: "7636 MICHIGAN UNION BLDG., University of Mich., Ann Arbor. Facing for steam table in tap room. Magnesium Oxychloride tiles, in buff red and blue laid in 1937."
Substitute following caption for above: "Michigan Union Bldg., University of Mich., Ann Arbor. Facing for steam table of tap room of magnesium oxychloride in buff and brown with color inserts of red, green yellow, blue, purple and gold."