UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Samuel Trask Dana Natural Resources Bldg. no. 278
Spier & Rohns, architect. Cornerstone laid on October 15, 1901; building occupied in 1903. Originally West Medical Building; became Samuel Trask Dana Building. Also known as Natural Resources Building. On verso: Med School II; Med West
Residents seated in lounge, Helen Newberry Residence, ca. 1938 [appeared Michiganensian 1938, p. 401]
Alumni Association (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Alumni Association.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Dormitories-Helen Newberry Residence
Albert Kahn and Ernest Wilby, architects. The building was completed in 1914 and remodeled in 1934. It was the first dormitory for women on the University of Michigan campus. Building funds donated by Truman H. Newberry, John S. Newberry, and Mrs. Henry Newberry Joy in memory of their mother, Helen Handy.
UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Alexander G. Ruthven Building. no. 134
Albert Kahn Associates, architecture firm. Puma sculpture by Carleton Watson Angell, 1940; black terrazzo. Building opened in 1928 and originally called the University Museums Building, which housed four museums: Museum of Anthropological Archaeology, Museum of Paleontology, Museum of Zoology, and University Herbarium. Later housed the Museum of Natural History, which was officially created in 1956. Renamed the Alexander G. Ruthven Museums Building in 1968.
Saline Township (Mich.) residences and business, ca. 1874
Combination atlas map of Washtenaw County, Michigan
Folder / Container / Volume
MH 4 W319 1874 E93, p. 91
Left to right: Res. of Orange Risdon, Sec. 1, Saline Tp. Mich.; Res. of Andrew Bush, Sec. 3, Saline Tp. Mich.; Res. of Dudley Miller, Sec. 24, Saline Tp. Mich.; Saline Exchange, A. Harmon Prop, Saline, Mich.; Res. of Abram Davenport, Sec. 36, Saline Tp. Mich.; Res. of Milton Reynolds, Sec. 22, Saline Tp. Mich.; Res. of George Neissle, Sec. 12, Saline Tp. Mich.; Res. of Robert Hammond, Sec. 25, Saline Tp. Mich.; Res. of M. Himerdinger, Sec. 8, Saline Tp. Mich. Publication information: Chicago, Ill. : Everts & Stewart, 1874.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
Architects are Albert Kahn of Detroit, in consultation with William Warner Bishop, the first head librarian of the new building. Built between 1916 and 1920 on the site of the old library. The new building incorporated two fireproof book stacks built in 1898 from the older building. Additional stacks were built at right angles to old stacks between 1916-1918 by Selden Breck contractors. In 1918 the old library was demolished and a new front (north facade) was attached to the 1893 stacks and the stacks built in 1916-1917. This was referred to as the (New) General Library until the south stack addition was built in 1967-1970 and the entire library building was named the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library.