UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Kelsey Museum of Archaeology, Exterior views. no. 214
Cornerstone laid May 26, 1888; dedicated June 1891. Gift of Helen H. Newberry of Detroit as headquarters of Students' Christian Association. Leased by U-M as classroom in 1921; gift to U-M from SCA in 1937. Adapted as museum in 1928, named the Francis W. Kelsey Museum of Archaeology in 1953.
Regents purchased south ten acres for $3000 in 1890. In 1902 UM received seven acres of land to the north from Dexter M. Ferry; became Ferry Field. In 1904 brick wall constructed on three sides and in 1906 gate and ticket office at northeast corner added (gift of Mr. Ferry). Wooden stands to accommodate 400 put up in 1893; burned in 1895. Rebuilt to seat 800 with later additions to facililties. By 1914, 13,600 accommodated. New stadium built in 1927.
A. J. Jordan, architect. Built in 1856. First chemical laboratory at a state university. Building served medical students and others as both laboratory and classroom. Situated just west and south of the original medical building. Additions made to the one-story building in 1861, 1866, 1868, 1874. In 1880 a two-story addition was added. In 1890, a three-story wing was added to the west of the original structure and was designed by E. W. Arnold of Detroit. A final addition was constructed in 1901. With the completion of the West Medical Building (later renamed the Dana Building) in 1903 and the Chemistry Building in 1909, the laboratories were transferred from the original Chemical Laboratory. In 1908, it became the Economics Building with Pharmacology occupying the north wing. Destroyed by an arson fire Christmas Eve 1981.
Architectural remnants of a demolished Detroit bank building, 1949
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
D13-228 Campus Buildings. Lorch Hall
Emil Lorch & Associates, architecture firm. Built in 1928. Architecture Building; later called Architecture & Design; renamed Lorch Hall ca. 1980. Classical columns acquired through Dean Emil Lorch. The Doric columns were once part of the oldest stone building in Detroit, the Bank of Michigan, built 1836. The Corinthian column was from the Home Office Bldg. of the Mutural Benefit Life Insurance Co. of Newark, N.J.