UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Michigan Union (Thomas M. Cooley House) no. 245
The residence of Judge Thomas M. Cooley became the first home for the Michigan Union. The house was renovated in 1906-1907, opened for student use in 1907, and in 1912 an addition was built. In 1916, the original house was razed to make room for a new Michigan Union building, which opened in 1919. The 1912 addition was moved to the north and used as a ballroom for a time.
Architects are Albert Kahn of Detroit, in consultation with William Warner Bishop, the first head librarian of the new building. Built between 1916 and 1920 on the site of the old library. The new building incorporated two fireproof book stacks built in 1898 from the older building. Additional stacks were built at right angles to old stacks between 1916-1918 by Selden Breck contractors. In 1918 the old library was demolished and a new front (north facade) was attached to the 1893 stacks and the stacks built in 1916-1917. This was referred to as the (New) General Library until the south stack addition was built in 1967-1970 and the entire library building was named the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library.
Image shows east stack. Photograph mounted on linen. From construction photo album received by Buildings and Grounds.