UBImusD13. Folder: Michigan Union (built 1919), interior views. no. 247
Allen B. and Irving K. Pond, of Chicago, architects. Construction for the Michigan Union began in 1916. Previously, the renovated residence of Judge Thomas M. Cooley was used as the Union clubhouse. Before the four-story building officially opened for student use in 1919, it was used in a partially finished state as a barracks for the Students' Army Training Corps. By 1925, the pool in the basement and the library on the second floor of the building were completed. Several additions were made to the Union in the 1930's and 1950's.
Verso: "7623 MICHIGAN UNION BLDG., University of Mich., Ann Arbor. Facing for base of drinking fountain in tap room matches facing for steam table. 7623 Water trough and shelves for glasses are made of black Hubbellite. Facing is magnesium oxychloride."
Image creator Shaw was General Secretary of the Alumni Association, 1904-1029 and Director of the Bureau of Alumni relations, 1929 -1950. He edited and illustrated the Michigan Alumnus and Michigan Alumnus Quarterly Review.