Maypole at May Day Party held on grounds of Martha Cook Residence, 26 May 1928
Martha Cook Building (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Martha Cook building.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Photographs, May Day Party, May 26, 1928
York & Sawyer, architecture firm. Construction begun in 1911, completed 1914. Located on a block between South University Avenue and Tappan Avenue. The Martha Cook Building was erected as a residence for women, a gift of William Wilson Cook ('80) in honor of his mother, Martha Walford Cook. Land to the east of the original building site (the old Condon home) was purchased in 1918 as a garden area.
Garden replanted in 1921 by Samuel Parsons of New York City. Statue of Portia above door was sculpted in marble in the Piccirilli Studio, N.Y.; donated by Cook in 1918.