UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Legal Research Building. no. 220
York & Sawyer, architecture firm. The William W. Cook Legal Research Building (also known as the Legal Research Library or Law Library) was completed in 1931, the third of the four buildings William W. Cook gave to form the Law Quadrangle, built between 1924-1933. In 1955, the original six level stackroom was increased to ten levels. The underground Allan F. and Alene Smith Law Library Addition designed by Gunnar Birkerts Associates was completed in 1981. The additional three original buildings comprising the Law Quadrangle with their construction dates are: the Lawyers' Club, 1924; the John P. Cook Dormitory, 1930; and Hutchins Hall, 1933. In January 2012, the Law Quadrangle was enlarged with the addition of South Hall and Aikens Commons.
Alumni Association (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Alumni Association.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Donaldson & Meier, architecture firm. The building opened in 1910. It houses the headquarters of the Alumni Association and the Michigan Alumnus and contains and the Alumni Catalog Office. Art collections and activities, including classes and exhibitions, have been held in the building since its opening. Its social function was, in the course of time, reduced to the use of a large room in the basement for the University Club, a faculty organization which later moved to quarters in the Union. The Department of Fine Arts held classes in Alumni Hall until 1949. The Museum of Art moved into Alumni Memorial Hall in 1946 upon its separation from the Museum of Archaeology and establishment as an individual administrative unit.
Bernard Green (UM Eng. 1891) of the Osborn Engineering Company of Cleveland, lead architect. Also known as "The Big House," excavation for the stadium began in September 1926 and construction was completed by October 1927. Previously, Michigan football games were held on Ferry Field. The stadium has undergone numerous improvements and renovations, which include an expansion project by the architectural firm Venturi, Scott-Brown and Associates in 1997; and another renovation and expansion project by the firm HNTB Architecture in 2010.