Observatory is near Lake Angelus, Michigan (five miles north of Pontiac). 24" reflecting telescope began operations in July 1930; also included a 10 1/2" reflector. Established and deeded to the University of Michigan by Robert R. McMath, Francis McMath, and Judge Henry S. Hulbert. An additional 50' tower telescope was added in 1935/1946 and 70' tower telescope and office building added in 1940.
Excavation for new Physical Science Building [Randall Physics Laboratory]
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Folder / Container / Volume
UBImu D13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Harrison M. Randall Laboratory. no. 192
Albert Kahn Associates, architecture firm. Built between 1922 and 1924 on the site of the Old Medical Building, which was razed in 1914. The building name was changed to the Harrison M. Randall Laboratory of Physics in 1940.