Allen B. and Irving K. Pond, of Chicago, architects. Construction for the Michigan Union began in 1916. Previously, the renovated residence of Judge Thomas M. Cooley was used as the Union clubhouse. Before the four-story building officially opened for student use in 1919, it was used in a partially finished state as a barracks for the Students' Army Training Corps. By 1925, the pool in the basement and the library on the second floor of the building were completed. Several additions were made to the Union in the 1930's and 1950's.
Detroit Observatory (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Detroit Observatory.
Folder / Container / Volume
Stephen Graham slides
Photographer / Artist
Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Building completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory."