Michigan Stadium, artificial turf being replaced, excavation to lower field three feet, 1991
University of Michigan News and Information Services Photographs
University of Michigan. News and Information Services. Photographs.
Folder / Container / Volume
Envelope: 11127, fr. 34
Photographer / Artist
University of Michigan. News and Information Service.
Bernard Green (UM Eng. 1891) of the Osborn Engineering Company of Cleveland, lead architect. Also known as "The Big House," excavation for the stadium began in September 1926 and construction was completed by October 1927. Previously, Michigan football games were held on Ferry Field. The stadium has undergone numerous improvements and renovations, which include an expansion project by the architectural firm Venturi, Scott-Brown and Associates in 1997; and another renovation and expansion project by the firm HNTB Architecture in 2010.