UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. William L. Clements bldg. no. 327
Albert Kahn Associates, architecture firm. Construction began in 1922 and the building was dedicated on June 15, 1923. Located on South University next to the President's House. At the time of construction, the West Physics Building was standing to the north. Building and collection of rare books donated by William L. Clements, University Regent.
UM class involved in road test of 1929 Pontiac - Reo Truck, 14 May 1929
Walter E. Lay Papers
Lay, Walter Edwin.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Road Tests, 1917-1958
"A research special seat (to stimulate an automobile seat) built to research comfort factors for average size people. Picture taken about 1935-1940. Person in seat was Eileen Lay, daughter of Prof. Lay." Jay A. Bolt, Oct. 20, 1990.
Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Building completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory." Known at various times as Detroit Observatory, Campus Observatory, Old Observatory.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.