Mum Show, Alumni Memorial Hall, 1913 (photo # 2600 by George R. Swain)
Museum of Art (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Museum of Art.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
UMMA Glass Negatives 2600-2604
Photographer / Artist
George R. Swain
Donaldson & Meier, architecture firm. The building opened in 1910. It houses the headquarters of the Alumni Association and the Michigan Alumnus and contains and the Alumni Catalog Office. Art collections and activities, including classes and exhibitions, have been held in the building since its opening. Its social function was, in the course of time, reduced to the use of a large room in the basement for the University Club, a faculty organization which later moved to quarters in the Union. The Department of Fine Arts held classes in Alumni Hall until 1949. The Museum of Art moved into Alumni Memorial Hall in 1946 upon its separation from the Museum of Archaeology and establishment as an individual administrative unit.
UBImusD13. Folder: Michigan Union (built 1919), exterior views. no. 246
Allen B. and Irving K. Pond, of Chicago, architects. Construction for the Michigan Union began in 1916. Previously, the renovated residence of Judge Thomas M. Cooley was used as the Union clubhouse. Before the four-story building officially opened for student use in 1919, it was used in a partially finished state as a barracks for the Students' Army Training Corps. By 1925, the pool in the basement and the library on the second floor of the building were completed. Several additions were made to the Union in the 1930's and 1950's.
UBImu D13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Waterman Gymnasium, Construction and interiors. no. 316
E.W. Arnold, architect. Built 1894. Funded by a challenge grant of $20,000.00 by Joshua W. Waterman of Detroit with contributions from others, including students, and funding from the Regents. Addition completed in 1916. Demolished in 1977 to make room for the expansion of the adjacent Chemistry Building.