Plant designed by A. Harvey's Sons Manufacturing Company, Ltd. Built in 1894. Also called Central Heating Plant and University Heating Plant. Ceased to function as a heating plant with the construction of the Washington Street plant in 1914. Used as an Engineering laboratory from 1914-1923. Then used by the R.O.T.C. as their headquarters from 1923-1942. The east stack was removed in 1948 and the rest of the building was demolished in 1959.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.
Alumni Association (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Alumni Association.
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Dormitories - East Quadrangle
Morrison & Gabler, architecture firm. East Quadrangle was built in 1939; formally accepted by the Regents on March 1, 1940; and opened to students in the fall of 1941. The houses, in honor of former professors at the University, were named: Burke Aaron Hinsdale House (the west unit facing East University Avenue), Charles Ezra Greene House (the north unit facing Willard Street), Moses Coit Tyler House (the east unit facing Church Street), Albert Benjamin Prescott House (the south unit). An addition was built between 1946-1948 with four more houses named after Henry Clay Anderson, Charles Horton Cooley, Joseph Ralston Hayden, and Louis Abraham Strauss.