Bird's-eye view of Detroit Observatory with dirt roads
Observatory (University of Michigan) records
University of Michigan. Observatory.
Richard Harrison Bull, architect. Building completed in the summer of 1854. Residence wing for the director added in 1868, expanded in 1905-1906, and finally removed to facilitate the enlargement of Couzens Hall in 1954. East wing, with a larger dome and a more powerful telescope, begun in 1908 and completed in 1909; torn down in 1976. Named "The Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan" until 1931 when it was changed to "The Observatory of the University of Michigan." In 1999, the name was officially changed to "The University of Michigan Detroit Observatory."
IMB (Irvine, Michigan, Brookline), a collaboration between the University of Michigan, the University of California at Irvine, and the U.S. Department of Energy, was an experiment designed to determine the ultimate stability of matter. Construction image. Finished cavity -- looking through tunnel to main part of mine.