Tappan oak boulder with tablet placed by class of '58
University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File
Bentley Historical Library (collector)
Folder / Container / Volume
UBImusD13. Folder: Campus Buildings. Statuary, monuments, etc. Class boulders and trees (including Oak) no. 287
Tree before 1858; boulder ca. 1883; bronze plaque 1904. In spring of 1858 the Class of 1858 named this oak (growing near center of campus) the Tappan Oak as a tribute to then Pres. Henry P. Tappan). Stone was given by the "Tappan Boys" (class of 58) and placed ca. 1883. Plaque created in 1904. Photograph is crumbled and creased.