UBImusD13. Folder: Michigan League and Lydia Mendelssohn Theatre, Interior and Exterior Views. no. 242
Photographer / Artist
George F. Korwin
Pond & Pond with Martin & Lloyd, architects. The Michigan League opened on May 4, 1929. To eliminate confusion between the Women's League as an organization and the Michigan League building, the administration of the building and the student organization were combined under the title Michigan League in 1934-35. In 1992, the Michigan League became one of three University Unions. The Lydia Mendelssohn Theater is within the Michigan League.
On image: "U. of M. LEAGUE BLDG. POND & POND, MARTIN & LLOYD ARCH'S. LOVERING-LONGBOTHAM CONT'S MARCH 3, 1928 FROM NW COR. MAIN BLDG. PHOTO BY KORWIN, ANN ARBOR. 729."
On verso: "GEO.F.KORWIN COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHER ANN ARBOR, MICH. DIAL 4829 NEGATIVE NO. 729. [circular stamp]."
Image shows view from the northwest corner with construction site and crane lifting metal frame. Korwin negative number 729.
Image creator Shaw was General Secretary of the Alumni Association, 1904-1029 and Director of the Bureau of Alumni relations, 1929 -1950. He edited and illustrated the Michigan Alumnus and Michigan Alumnus Quarterly Review.
A. J. Jordan, architect. Built in 1856. First chemical laboratory at a state university. Building served medical students and others as both laboratory and classroom. Situated just west and south of the original medical building. Additions made to the one-story building in 1861, 1866, 1868, 1874. In 1880 a two-story addition was added. In 1890, a three-story wing was added to the west of the original structure and was designed by E. W. Arnold of Detroit. A final addition was constructed in 1901. With the completion of the West Medical Building (later renamed the Dana Building) in 1903 and the Chemistry Building in 1909, the laboratories were transferred from the original Chemical Laboratory. In 1908, it became the Economics Building with Pharmacology occupying the north wing. Destroyed by an arson fire Christmas Eve 1981.
Image from north with group of students on lawn.
This image is in the public domain and may be used without permission. Kindly provide attribution to the University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library.