West & east elevations of Michigan Union, sheet 1, 29 January 1917, revised 4 September 1917
Pond family papers
Pond Family (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
Box / Drawer
Folder / Container / Volume
Allen B. and Irving K. Pond, of Chicago, architects. Construction for the Michigan Union began in 1916. Previously, the renovated residence of Judge Thomas M. Cooley was used as the Union clubhouse. Before the four-story building officially opened for student use in 1919, it was used in a partially finished state as a barracks for the Students' Army Training Corps. By 1925, the pool in the basement and the library on the second floor of the building were completed. Several additions were made to the Union in the 1930's and 1950's.