Built in 1923 by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls Associates, this structure was designed for indoor track events and intercollegiate sports, particularly football, baseball, basketball, and track athletics. Originally named the Yost Field House after U-M football coach Fielding Harris Yost (1921-1941), the building was remodeled in November of 1973 and renamed Yost Ice Arena.
Planting plan for the pond; estate of J.O. Armour, Esq., Lake Forest, Ill.
Jens Jensen drawings and papers
Jensen, Jens, 1860-1951.
Box / Drawer
Pencil on tracing paper. Untitled, undated sheet. Labeled in lower left in pencil: "B9'" and in lower right "Topo Survey Armour." Topographical lines in pencil. No elevations. Appears to cover entire estate. Unsigned. 110 cm. x 77 cm. No scale [from photographic copy by Lance Burgharrdt]
Architects are Albert Kahn of Detroit, in consultation with William Warner Bishop, the first head librarian of the new building. Built between 1916 and 1920 on the site of the old library. The new building incorporated two fireproof book stacks built in 1898 from the older building. Additional stacks were built at right angles to old stacks between 1916-1918 by Selden Breck contractors. In 1918 the old library was demolished and a new front (north facade) was attached to the 1893 stacks and the stacks built in 1916-1917. This was referred to as the (New) General Library until the south stack addition was built in 1967-1970 and the entire library building was named the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library.
Photographer's stamp on verso: "Francisco-Boyce Photo Co. Ann Arbor, Mich. Sparkletone Print."
John Scott & Company, architecture firm. Built during 1895 and 1896. Demolished in 1977 to make room for the expansion of the Chemistry Building. Barbour Gymnasium (for women) was attached to the north side of the Waterman Gymnasium.